Saturday, April 01, 2006

Weekend News

Saturday Avinash and I did some heavy-duty Indian cooking and ran errands. We planned to make kulcha and an Indian main dish to go with it. I suffered my usual memory lapses at the grocery store and ended up going there about 4 times! Fortunately they have self-checkout lanes and I didn't have to face a cashier so many times. ;)

I decided on murgh kaju, and Avinash planned aloo kaju. It was made with a tempered cashew, onion, garlic, and spice base, with cashew paste thickening the gravy. This was mixed with sauteed chicken and potatoes, respectively. The end result was quite mild and I "spooked it up" with a bit more crushed red pepper.

The kulcha was made with naan dough. We had tried making naan before, without much success. We got some brand-new yeast and I made the dough. It rose not-very-impressively in the oven and then was punched down and rolled out. Avinash rolled in chopped red onions, chili, and mint leaves, and I cooked each one in the broiler. They came out crusty on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside, unlike our previous efforts on the griddle and in the oven. I was pretty pleased with the entire meal.

I worked on revising Dad's Korea photos. Attached above is a sample showing what I believe is Camp Casey near Seoul.




Here is what the military website has to say about it:
Camp Casey is located in Tongduchon, just 40 miles north of Seoul. TONGDUCHON, located on the most northern part of Korea, is at the edge of Soyo Mountain, also known as Kyonggi's "Little Kumkang Mountain." It is the first gateway to the northern countries. It is also developing into the most important city in northern Kyonggi. The Tongduchun city population status is over 70,000 citizens.
Dvd project:
Ever After

Survey payouts:
$25 gift card to TGIF

Mail call:
utility bill
credit card bill
junk
$24 money order for ebay
CE certificate
Local apostrophe-impaired ad

Books:
I read A Regency Christmas Courtship, a compilation of novelettes. The reviews were
right on the money, with 2 or 3 good ones and 2 bad ones in the collection.

Romance cliches included:
1. a magical puppy whose goal was to get the hero and heroine together
2. two parties whose arranged match they were both fleeing meeting unexpectedly on the road, getting holed up in an inn together in a snowstorm, and falling for each other unbeknownst to each other's respective identities.

Sunday I worked my usual shift. When I got home, I made an apple pie from my tried and true recipe I've been using ever since I was about 10. Avinash and I watched Analyze That while I sliced apples and made the dough. I enjoyed that as much as the first movie.

In the evening I went to Baraboo to play in the woodwind quintet. We haven't met in a couple of months and it was nice to get together again. I tried to make a new reed just before I left,because mine were old and worn out, but it was just too hard to play and needs more scraping. As it is, it might cause a stroke if I played it longer than a few minutes! I gave up on that for now and played an older and more feeble reed. Jane had nicely reorganized and renumbered our folders and for the first time in probably 15 years we could all find our music. Quintet news: Becky is looking for a new horn now that hers has "red rot". She was trying out a friend's custom made horn from Germany and it sounded really nice. Willy has a new granddaughter.

I got home about 9:30 and tried to get to sleep, but my body is not used to the new time and I gave up and played solitaire (the only thing I can do quietly on the computer) for an hour or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home