Tuesday, April 17, 2007

New Denizens of Vine Street


We have a couple of new residents chez Bhat, one of whom is a volunteer and the rest new recruits. Mom and Dad stopped by today while I was working in the garden, and Dad encouraged me to get a couple of fish for the pond. I had planned on doing that when the weather warmed up, and since the snow has (hopefully) passed, I assigned him the job to go to the store to get some. Meanwhile, it appears a frog has taken up residence in the pond. Dad was quite entranced with him, and christened him "Clancy". He filled the pond up and then added a big cement block and some rocks so Clancy could sit on them in the middle of the pond. Then, a frog bridge was required, since with the higher water level, it didn't appear Clancy could climb out of the pond. Dad constructed one using an old piece of wood.

Dad went to the hardware store, and got 5 beautiful goldfish for $1.00. They were added to the pond. They seem to like the shelter of the holes in the cement block, which will come in handy with the neighborhood cats come around. One of the goldfish was quite interested in Clancy, and kept nudging his feet.

Dad said he would bring me some pond water in a jar, and a supply of duckweed, and I should have my own little backyard ecosystem soon.

Here is a photo of Clancy, near the pond

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home