Thursday, April 05, 2007

working day

We're in the midst of a cold snap. All of my tulips and daffodils in bud look pretty sad; we aren't supposed to be out of the freezing temps until next Wed, with a low of 1 degree C and an unimpressive high of 7.

I had a busy day, which started off at 5 am with a pounding headache. I gave myself an Imitrex injection. When that failed to do anything, Avinash gave me another one at 6 am. I went back to bed and slept until 9. My headache was much diminished, but still hanging around, so took another 100 mg and 500 mg of Naproxen. I had a nice hot bath and after that I was feeling much better.

Yesterday I had seasoned a chicken for making "Zuni Roasted Chicken". I heated the cast iron dutch oven and turned the oven on high as instructed in the recipe. The chicken sizzled nicely when I put it in, as it was supposed to, and continued to sizzle during its baking period. The chicken turned out well - nicely flavored and juicy - but I'm not sure why everyone raves about this recipe. It's nothing extraordinary, in my opinion.

After lunch, Dad arrived. I had asked him to bring the shopvac the next time he came over, to help clean the flaking plaster and paint off the basement walls in preparation for repainting. He and I cleaned old plaster and paint off the basement walls and floor for a couple of hours. I also used the extension wand to suck up about 10 years of spiderwebs from the rafters - I think I will rename the basement "spider heaven" after this. There is still much more to be done, but I left it for another day.

All of my freecycle contacts arrived simultaneously today, to pick up the old mildewing floor-ceiling mirror in the basement (the flood in the basement this spring did not help), the old strawberry-wallpapered bathroom cabinet (the builder of the house was addicted to the color red and particularly to fruit motifs) and some mildewey Time-Life books from Mom. I'm glad to get rid of that stuff.

After Dad left, I made some Country Sage Chicken Soup from the leftover chicken parts. I had that for dinner with a spinach salad with asagio peppercorn dressing.

Tonight, we have a Netflix DVD "Out of Time".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home