Thursday, February 15, 2007

Reedsburg Players






I was asked to play in the orchestra pit for the local production of South Pacific. This musical has a lot of English horn segments in the oboe part. I borrowed the high school's English horn, which I had just returned, for the event. I've been fortunate enough to have had it much of the year. I should really spring the $4000 it takes to buy one, but it hardly seems worthwhile when the high school has such a nice one which is not being used.



The production itself is very disorganized. It will be interesting to see if it all comes together for the performance. I can't comment much on the stage work, since my back is to the stage, in the pit, and since the general miking doesn't pick up the dialogue or the minor character's solos. Perhaps they can here those things in the house. I hope so.

Here I am with both horns, for those of you not familiar with double reed instruments. The English horn is a larger version (the "alto" version) of the oboe. It has a rather spine-chilling, exotic sound. The reeds are similar, but the the English horn has a bocal similar to a bassoon. It requires a little bit more air than the oboe, but I still have a lot of positive pressure in the lungs at breathmarks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home